Ship scanners are modules that allow you to determine what modules and subsystems (but not rigs?) a player’s ship is currently using. When used at optimum range, the ship scanner will open a window listing (almost) all of the ship’s outfit. When used farther (or closer?) than the optimum range, some modules may not appear in the list; however, taking repeated scans, and cascading the results, will yield valuable intelligence to the corp/alliance war effort.
Similarly, Cargo Scanners can be used to determine what cargo a ship is carrying. This is useful for determining what kind of ammo the enemy is using, what supplies they are freighting, etc.
- A Ship Scanner Module
- An expendable ship such as a Rookie Ship or Interceptor-series Frigate (highly recommended)
- Sensor Booster (w/ Targetting Range Script) and Signal Amplifiers until ship’s targetting range meets or exceeds Scanner module optimum range (highly recommended)
- Passive target modules so the enemy doesn’t know you’re scanning them if you’re (using an alt) not at war with them (optional)
- A Cargo Scanner Module (optional)
- Buffers to ensure you survive long enough to scan the ship (not recommended)
- Defensive modules such as warp core stabilizers and repair units if you intend for your ship to survive (not recommended)
Obtaining and Uploading Intelligence
- Approach and keep at range of the ship you want to scan so that your distance to them is about the ship scanner module’s optimum range
- Activate your sensor booster
- Activate your passive targeter (optional)
- Target the ship and activate your ship scanner
- Arrange the window so that it is next to the target icon (see example below)
- Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (this will save the screenshot to the EVE capture directory)
- Repeatedly scan the enemy ship and take screenshots until you are certain you’ve identified all the modules (optional)
- Repeat steps 1-7 for cargo scanning (optional)
- Go to the EVE capture directory (On Windows PC: My Documents/EVE/capture/Screenshots), open the image(s), and crop them accordingly. If you took multiple images, you may consolidate them so that all the modules used are listed.
- Supply the information to your corporation